My name is Lacey. Apparently that is extremely confusing for strangers because I have been called many things by many people, but rarely do they call me Lacey. This blog will explore who I am now - according to strangers.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Today my name is Lizzie

When the very lovely barista handed me my coffee this morning I was amused to see instead of Lacey the name Lizzie. To truly appreciate my new name I need to take you back a few minutes though.

I live four miles from downtown San Francisco and take the train to work. This ride usually takes less than 30 minutes, time I use to read. Sitting down. This morning something went seriously wrong. The ride took an hour and by the time the train got to my stop it was so full all the seats were gone. I have not yet acquired the skill to read standing on a train. Standing. Butt to butt. For an hour. Not reading. (I know. I know. Everything's amazing and nobody is happy. But remember I haven't had my coffee at this point!)

Back to Lizzie.


I was surprised when after seeing my new name my friends didn't understand my axe joke.

Today I am Lizzie Borden.

For my friends and those of my reader(s) who might not know, Lizzie Borden was accused of killing her father and step mother with an axe in 1892. She was not found guilty during the trail and since several theories naming other murders have been formed, yet there is a charming rhyme about the incident that leaves the blame with Lizzie.
Lizzie Borden took an axe
And gave her father forty whacks.
When she saw what she had done
She gave her mother forty-one.
I think my favorite theory about the murders is that Lizzie did indeed cause them but, essentially, she was on her period and did so unknowingly.

Anyway, have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment